Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mexican Salad with Tequila Lime Dressing

I've been enjoying the bounty of summer vegetables so much this year. Good thing, too. Now that the AMA has classified obesity as a disease, my doctor isn't as forgiving about those extra pounds I've packed on. 

Usually a craving for Mexican food means some serious carrot and celery crunching for lunch. But, I was able to put together a great salad with all the flavors I was wanting and plenty of the nutrition a baby boomer body needs. 


I cut an avocado up in chunks and added cherry tomatoes, cut in halves. Avocados are a little high in calories, but research has shown that they help reduce the inflammation of arthritis and are heart healthy, actually helping to lower cholesterol. And, tomatoes are one of nature's special gifts... a super food with vitamins, minerals, fiber and so much more included great taste!

A half cup each of corn and rinsed pinto beans added fiber and protein, plus potassium for those nighttime charley horses. Some folks would choose black beans, which are just as nutritious, but I'm from Texas... it's pintos or nothing! About a half cup each of bell and jalapeno pepper and onion slices gave the salad some kick and me some more arthritis relief, in the form of capsaicin, as well as vitamin E to help keep those wrinkles at bay! 


Finally, some black olives (vitamin A, for eye health, and iron), cilantro (believed to be a sleep aid) and jalapeno jack cheese (calcium for my old bones). 

For the dressing, I mixed together well one ounce of tequila, juice of half a lime, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar in pickled jalapenos (I like it hot; plain vinegar would work) and 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin. I only used about two tablespoons of the dressing on the salad and refrigerated the rest for future use.

The salad serves two at about 300 calories each, including the dressing and some baked tortilla strips added for extra crunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment