Sunday, July 7, 2013

Apothic White Wine Review

The name Apothic is derived from the word apotheca, which in ancient Rome and Greece, meant a storeroom of any kind, but especially one for wine. The website for Apothic says this: "More than 800 years ago, vintners blended and stored their most coveted concoctions in a mysterious place, called Apotheca." Anyone other than me find it interesting that it is also the base word for apothecary, the historical name for someone who practices medicine. I don't know about you, but that works for me!


OK, the wine... I didn't check the blend before purchasing. I simply bought it because I like the red version. If I had checked, I probably would have left it on the shelf. It's a blend of Chardonnay, Riesling and Moscato, which sounds way sweet to me. Surprisingly, it wasn't.

This is a case of what you smell is what you get. It has a nice balance of pineapple and peach with a bit of kiwi and vanilla. The tasting notes speak of honey, which I don't taste, but there is just enough sweetness at the end to keep the pucker at bay, yet enough tartness for a clean, tingly mouth-feel. For the price, a great summer wine! 12% alcohol, so light enough to enjoy on its own, but stout enough for summer foods. And, it has the perfect tropical fruit flavor to make a great sangria.

3 comments:

  1. Try a new bottle Apothic White and let us know what you think. The blend has changed. The muscato was replaced by Pinot Grigio. The bit of sweetness I loved which the muscato provided was gone. I was deeply dissapointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taste the honey and spice and I'm not a fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taste the honey and spice and I'm not a fan

    ReplyDelete