Saturday, July 13, 2013

Kendall Jackson 2011 Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay


At first whiff of the Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay 2011, I got the aroma of white pepper and pineapple. The pineapple follows into the taste with a lot of other tropical fruit flavor. However, since I rarely eat anything tropical other than kiwi and pineapple, I couldn't tell you what the flavors are. The winemakers notes include mango and papaya. I was able to pick up the citrus taste of tangerine and lime, with a touch of gingery spice. It's a little dry for my taste at first, but softens nicely decanted. Bottom line, it was great with my dinner of sriracha salmon (recipe here) and honey ginger mushrooms (recipe above). I would stick with foods that pair well with citrus taste on this one. I tried it with a bite of cheese and was not impressed. So, fish, salads, Asian foods are probably the best bet for pairing. Kendall Jackson is the number one selling Chardonnay in the US and, because of the size of its vineyards, it can afford to keep prices reasonable, even a vintage as difficult as 2011. SRP is $13. Wine Spectator rated it 86.

No comments:

Post a Comment