Sunday, May 25, 2014

Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 Wine Review

Something new tonight, purchased online, but I think I've seen this offered locally, maybe on a restaurant wine list. It's Ghost Pines Cabernet Sauvignon 2011. This is a blend to rival all blends, not only with grapes, but with appellations. And, I'm thinking it may be my new favorite Cab.
I'm a little confused as to why the winery decided to call it a Cabernet Sauvignon, which makes up only 15%, with the majority of the grapes being Petite Syrah (48%) and Zinfandel (21%) with a little Petite Verdot thrown in 7% and 9% "other." Also, the grapes come from Sonoma, San Joaquin and Napa Counties. Here's what I found on the website:
"Each lot of our Ghost Pines 2011 Red Blend was fermented separately before blending. The Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah lots were cold soaked and fermented at warm temperatures to give the wine structure and depth. The Zinfandel was pumped over gently to liberate its spice characteristics, and we blended Petit Verdot from our Ghost Pines vineyard to add darkness and richness."
Whatever... it's very good.
Definitely let this wine breathe. It's gets phenomenal after about 30 minutes decanted. There's lots of dark ripe berries on the nose with a slight hint of licorice. On the palate, there's baking spice and chocolate with a little dark cherry. It has a nice tannin balance. 14.5% alcohol, so don't get carried away with the great taste! I think it would pair well with anything, but it's good on it's own, too. It was rated 90+ by every reviewer I read, and I will definitely purchase again, especially at $20/bottle on Wine.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment