Monday, May 19, 2014

Dreaming Tree Crush 2011 Wine Review

Angel Tree, Charleston, S.C.
Ready for a new wine review? OK, then. I just happened to get a new shipment today. 
I picked Dreaming Tree Crush 2011 for my first tasting of the lot, mainly because the name reminded me of the centuries-old Angel Tree I saw while on vacation in Charleston (without a doubt, my favorite vacation, so far). The wine is a blend of 55% Merlot, 17% Zinfandel, 13% Petite Syrah, 8% Syrah and 7% other. 
Dreaming Tree is a collaboration of Dave Matthews (yes, THAT Dave Matthews) and Steve Reeder, who has a degree in Fermentation Sciences from the University of California (leave it to California to offer such a degree) and has been brewing and fermenting since he was 13.

I smell mostly berry jam, with a hint of baking spices. It reminded me of my brother's homemade cranberry sauce (which is awesome!) There's lots of semi-tart berries in the flavor, but with a slight earthy smoke backdrop and a little bit of moss.
Overall, I loved the wine because it is highly drinkable on its own, but was really good with my charcuterie plate of smoked meats and cheeses, it had a nice long finish, AND it reminded me of a treasured vacation experience. Any wine that can invoke those kinds of feelings and images is a keeper for me. 
I think you could pair this wine with just about anything, but I plan on enjoying it with a dish of farfalle and a rich, spicy tomato sauce for round two tomorrow night. 
I purchased this at Wine.com for about $15 and will buy it again. I couldn't find a rating for this vintage, but previous vintages were rated 90, and I would give this a 90, easy. 13.5% alcohol, so please drink responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment